Custom Pages

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Little Square: Phase 2

The second phase of this pattern involves connecting four squares together. It's a way to make sure the squares are repeatable, and it also gives me a good base to work with for the next step:


The next step will be more difficult, and involves redesigning part of the pattern.

So far, no one has guessed my exact intentions for this pattern. I have received guesses of a mat, a square doily, a tablecloth, and a box. While it can be made into all of those things, the purpose of this pattern is a little bit different.

All will be revealed in my next post, which should be ready early next week. You are welcome to keep guessing though!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Little Square

A little square, but I have bigger plans for it. Can you guess?


More on that later this week...

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Big and Small

Just a couple more snowflakes, one big and one small. These are both tatted in Lizbeth size 20 thread and the designs are loosely based on each other.


I meant to have a blog post about sizing a picot gauge for central beads, but didn't realize how much information I had to go through. I still need to finish that up and try to make it more concise and readable.

Yesterday I received a question about whether I had my blog tutorials in PDF format. There's actually a website that will convert any blog post into a PDF file, and I thought I'd share that here as it might be useful to some.

To convert a blog post into a PDF, go to https://www.printfriendly.com/ and copy paste the URL of the specific post you would like to convert. After you have done that, you can click on the button that says "print preview" and it will take you to a page where you can make small edits and also save the file as a PDF.

Edit: Margaret brought up a good point in the comments below. You can also copy paste an entire blog post into something like Microsoft Word or Pages and export the PDF from there.

Don't forget there is also another PDF website called https://smallpdf.com/ where you can combine multiple PDF files into one large file, split them up, and make other conversions. Both websites are free, but smallpdf.com limits you to two files per hour (if I'm remembering correctly). Anyhow, they are both really useful and are worth checking out.

Friday, May 5, 2017

Little flakes and stars

I'm still tatting snowflakes, and I've added a few small stars to the mix:


I've been testing out different beaded centers with the flakes, and have come up with a formula for calculating the picot gauge needed when using size 20 thread. The picot gauge is used with Frivole's method for adding beads, which you can view by clicking here. Hopefully I'll have more about that next week.


These snowflakes and stars are inspired by one of my earlier designs. I had the idea to create snowflake pairs that consist of one small and one large version, both using similar design elements. In this case, both designs feature outward facing clovers tatted in two rounds:


The small snowflake and star are tatted in Lizbeth size 20 thread while the large snowflake and star are tatted in size 40. I have several other design pairs drawn, and I hope to tat them over the next few months. Part of my goal with this project is to create snowflakes that are suitable for both small and large threads.

To draft these designs, I've been using the Amaziograph app that I blogged about earlier. Here is the sketch of the small snowflake from today's post:


I'm really pleased with this app and can get lost in it for hours. I think it's a great way to visualize a design before attempting to tat it.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Revisiting a design

I keep several design binders where I store pieces of finished tatting as well as hand drawn diagrams for each pattern I make. Sometimes I leaf through the pages, looking for a small gift to put into a card, or to get inspiration for new creations.

Most of the designs are finished and have either been placed on my blog or in my Etsy shop, but once in a while I store something that I intend to work on later. While looking through last year's binder, I kept seeing a snowflake that I started in July. I set it aside because I didn't like the way it looked, but over time I started to think..."Oh, that's not so bad."

I had written a note to myself to make a few of the chains longer to increase the negative space, so a couple of weeks ago, that's what I did:


The snowflake on the left was tatted in July of last year, while the one on the right was tatted just recently. In the end, I think I'll go with a happy medium, and use a chain length right in between the two tatted samples above.

I had also wanted to invert the clovers in the middle of the snowflake, to create a design that could be completed in one round. I just finished that up a few days ago, and as you can see it creates a much different visual effect when compared to the first design. The new snowflake is in the upper right corner of the following photo:


As usual, I have been distracted away from old projects and have found myself drawing and tatting snowflakes again! I feel like I'm more inclined to make snowflakes when the weather is nice. Perhaps that's because I get sick of all of the cold and snow in the winter, and I don't want to tat things that remind me of it.

I'm working on a few designs that I drew with the Amaziograph app (this is my first real test of the program), and I hope to share some photos in the next few weeks.